Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Two or Forty


Kate is always looking for a job. And no, she can't read the paper, but she looks for a job there! If you would see her schedule, you would be hard pressed to find 4 hours in a day that are consecutive to insert another activity.  We have always maintained that she will never be able to earn an income to be self-sufficient, so our job as her parents is to be sure she has the best life possible.  

If she needs money for an event, I always give her a couple of dollars out of the kitchen drawer.  I keep money in there in case we are going somewhere and don’t have any cash on us.

Her weekly activities include, but are not limited to: bowling, pool time at Jane’s and cooks out, working out with Megan, beach, bowling (again) drama, workshop (three mornings a week), basketball, community lunch, sports and rec, happy hour, water aerobics, meditation, Friday Night excursions and Saturday night socials.  Where would she fit a job?  

If you ask her why she wants a job she says for the money.  I tell her just ask if you need money, I will give it to you.   Or do some chores.  She asks.

Last Monday afternoon she was bowling with her friends from Our Place.  She gets Iced Tea from the concession stand there.  I know that and usually she will ask me for two bucks before she leaves in the morning.  For some reason this week I left the house before her.  She was waiting for her bus with her sister.  Apparently she didn’t ask her for money either.

I got a text in the afternoon from one of the workers at Our Place.  It said this:
“Hi! So Kate has shown up today with $40 (two $20’s) that she says she found in a secret drawer. Know anything about this??”

Two dollars or forty, apparently all the same to her.  Guess I have to find a new secret spot to stash my cash!

No comments:

Post a Comment