Monday, June 25, 2018

Skinned Knee Drama

At least once a year we provide respite for the Blasco family. Barb and Rich take a much needed vacation, while Art, Kate, I, and our two four-footers move into their home to take care of their daughter. Kathryn is a 39 year old blue-eyed beauty who has been disabled since birth. You can read all about her in this book that Barb wrote titled: It's a Girl...But Will She Live?

We recently spent 13 days at their home. Our daily routine during the work week is this: I leave for work first. Kate and Kathryn attend the same Day Program, so the bus picks them both up and delivers them to Marc. Art cleans up around the Blasco home and then heads back to do what he needs to do at our home and takes the four-footers with him. He is then back to the Blasco home by 3 pm to get the girls off the bus and feeds them. I get back there around 6 pm and he feeds me. We get up and do it again the next day.

On the second Monday we were there, Kate fell while at Marc and scrapped her knee
pretty good.  She has very poor vision and if her glasses are dirty well...  Also, she is so busy moving onto the next person to talk to or catch up to someone, she doesn't see where she is putting her foot and does fall often. She is always in a hurry to get through life!

She told me she couldn't go to water aerobics because of her knee (which she first identified as her toe, then her ankle, finally her knee). I told her we would put some Neosporin on it and it would be fine.

Art called me later that day. He said Kate was "very concerned" about her knee. When she is "very concerned", she is usually crying and talking at the same time. She was sure that she couldn't go into the pool with it like that. He said he thought she wanted to loose the leg so she could go do her water aerobics. I was like what are you talking about. He said she asked him to bring poison back from the house to put on her knee so she could go into the pool.... Poison I said?  ...  Oh - she meant Neosporin! Which I guess when Kate says it sounds like poison.  

Of course we will now call Neosporin "poison" and smile.

1 comment:

  1. You always make me smile, Cheryl! You are a great writer. Pls tell Kate I am praying that her knee gets all healed soon.

    ReplyDelete