Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Happy Birthday To Me - All Month Long

January - that’s my Birthday is the month Kate was born in. We have noticed that anytime the word January - that’s my Birthday is spoken, the words following it – that’s my birthday – can be heard coming from Kate if she is within earshot. So we just automatically say it now. For Example: Did you know that in January - that’s my Birthday they are expecting the coldest day of the year? Next time you see Kate, be sure get the word “January” into the conversation. Even if you are just talking to someone near her and she hears the word – automatic response guaranteed.
Kate truly enjoys her birthday month. Here are a couple of examples:
She attends a program called Natural Ties at the campus of Northwestern University in Evanston. They meet there to play games with some of the college students every other Tuesday evening during the school year. I would usually take her to the room off the café where they play the games then go sit in the eating area and read a book or crochet for an hour while I wait for her. Several times I have heard them singing Happy Birthday so I assume they ask who has one coming up. Since January - that’s my Birthday has four weeks, two of those we are at Ties and you can be sure both times they are singing to Kate!
Our Place is a program she attends during the week day and one of the days she is there they bowl. Last year that day was on January – that’s my birthday 28th. So I sent a sheet cake in for her to celebrate with her bowling friends. Decorated in purple (her most favorite color) piping I later found out I couldn’t even have planned this better. When she got home that day she told me she bowled with Coach. I had no idea who she was talking about until Our Place posted pictures on Face Book. Sure enough, there they were, bowling with the Northwestern Football team!
In our family when it is your birthday, we have a celebratory meal of your choice. Grandma comes since she is living with us and the two sisters and brother if they are in town. This last birthday was celebrated as a lunch at her choice of restaurants, California Pizza Kitchen. Her birthdays are always special and this was no exception.  
Who should come in the revolving doors behind me? The head coach of the Chicago Bears-Marc Trestman! In case you didn’t know we are H-U-G-E Bears fans – let me review the names of the dogs in the family including the fosters: Bear-Payton-Peanut-Major-Duncan. We didn’t ask for his picture (smart phones take pictures both directions so it is easy to hold it over your shoulder) or interrupt his meal with his family. Just being able to look at his back for a whole hour was enough excitement for us! How do we top that next year? Superbowl lunch maybe in AZ with the Bears?? Just saying...

1 comment:

  1. I love your stories ... and your writing. I can hear you while reading these words.

    ReplyDelete