Friday, March 28, 2014

It Is Never Wrong To Do The Right Thing

My husband had a birthday and needed to renew his driver’s licenses. I realized that I needed a vehicle sticker and Kate’s state ID was expired. So we decided to ALL go to the DMV to handle all these issues. If you have been following the blog, you know that quite is not a word used to describe Kate...ever! She is a gregarious, friendly to a fault young lady, who doesn’t always know socially acceptable behavior.
So we get to the DMV around 3 pm on a weekday. We got into the zigzagging line of about 30 people. The people who give you the numbers sit up higher than the people standing in line, they kind of tower over us. Mind you, it is in the later afternoon and I don't see a single person smiling in the entire building. Dealing with the public is one hard job, obviously. One of the ladies at the desk who gave out the numbers was being exceptionally rude to a customer who didn’t understand her directions. Listening to this, Kate blurted out, “Hey, be nice!” I instantly tried to cover her mouth and not let a laugh out of mine. The lady looked at us and yelled, “You! Come here.” I swear the entire place got dead quiet and I just knew the Policeman in the corner put his hand on his gun. I also knew better than not do what she said so I began unhooking the velvet rope from the stanchions and I had to practically drag my husband to the front of the line with Kate in tow. He looked at me and said, "she's mean!- I don't want to go up there."
She looked at Kate and said with a smile, “Your right honey. I was wrong to yell at that man and I should be nicer. What are you folks here for?” We told her and she gave us our numbers. Much to the chagrin of the people in line, we went and sat and waited for our numbers to be called. We were in out of the DMV in less than a half hour. Everyone needs a Kate.





1 comment: