Monday, April 14, 2014

Show Me The Money

Everyone likes to work for the all mighty dollar. Kate works for it - literally - a buck!  A buck or a ten mean pretty much the same to her.  She has several chores at home that she is required to do.  One of them is to bring the garbage cans back from the road up to the garage.  For that she earns a buck.  As there are two cans, garbage and recycling, there have been times I have helped, so she wanted to share the buck with me...bless her heart.


Mind you, if Kate ever needs anything, we buy it for her or she will use the money she gets as gifts, or gift cards.  I have never seen her spend her buck.  Maybe that is because it stays in the kitchen. When we give her the buck, it comes from the change jar in the pantry.  It took me about a month to realize Kate was putting the buck back in the change jar after we gave it to her.  We apparently are recycling the same dollar over and over.  


When we went out to dinner recently, we left Kate home with my Mom.  I told Kate if she was good I would give her a buck!  Just to be silly I told Mom if she was good she could have a buck also. She smiled and went and looked in the change jar to see if there were two bucks in there!


That became a standing joke in the house, if you are good Grandma you can have a buck!  Even Kate would reminder her of that if we were going somewhere and Mom was staying home. Well, Mom has just moved into an assisted living facility.  She has lived in the same neighborhood for 65 years except when she visited us for the winter months.  This is quite the transition for her, leaving the house Dad built and all her neighbors she has known forever.  


Kate was sitting at the table with me the other night while I was signing a card to send her and Kate asked what it was for. I explained I wanted to cheer Grandma up at her new house.  Kate went and got a dollar out of the change jar for the card…. bless her heart.

1 comment:

  1. Kate, you are a very special person, so full of love and empathy for others.. I agree with your mom, we need more Kates! :)

    ReplyDelete