Tuesday, August 23, 2016

I'm Back!

It has been a very long time since I posted anything on my blog.  My life has been very hectic to say the least-moving across county-in stages-and changing jobs-twice! But this weekend we finally hung a few things on the walls and a feeling of normalcy (whatever that is) is taking over. We are enjoying the sunshine, the lovely scenery and of course, the pool!

When I opened the blog to tell you about a funny Katieism - I see there are several others I have here as drafts. As I read them, the day they discuss floods back to me like yesterday....

I am going to post one that I had here, sitting in the draft mode, and it might explain one of the reasons we left Illinois. I had titled it "I Just Can't Wrap My Brain Around It." Here goes:

The state of Illinois is at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to benefits for disabled adults in the United States. Today I had first hand knowledge on why this is.


Earlier this week I had received a letter from Illinois Healthcare and Family Services stating that I HAD to choose a health care plan for Kate to be enrolled in by September 25, or they would choose one. I was confused because we have third party healthcare for Kate through my employer. I had asked her caseworker previously about this and he indicated I didn't need to be enrolled in the ICP program because she is covered. So when I called them to say, thanks but no thanks, I don't want to choose a healthcare program for her, I was told again, like in the letter, either I choose or they will.


After several emails with several people, it was decided that after the staffing to be held today with these people, we would make a conference call and get it settled. So after this meeting, I made the phone call to the IHFS with her case worker sitting next to me and told them I was Kate's mom and legal guardian - the man on the other end wouldn't talk to me until Kate told him it was okay..... I gave the Kate the phone and she thought it was Dad and was telling him about her day.... so I took the phone back and the "nice man" on the other end still wouldn't talk to me because he couldn't understand Kate. Dah! That is why I am her legal guardian... even when the case worker tried to talk to him - he wouldn't talk to us, said if I was near a computer I could download the authorization form to send in saying I was her legal guardian- blah blah blah - because I have already done that - he just couldn't find it in the system.

So - he says to me - (are your ready for this) he can't help me and suggested that I call the local office at 847.000.0000 - BUT, with no laughter in in voice, so I am only assuming a straight face - he says,"no one ever answers that phone."

Seriously - call a number that no answers so I don't get enrolled in a program I don't want or need.

I'm still shaking my head. 

No comments:

Post a Comment