Thursday, October 20, 2016

Melancholy

Living in Arizona is like being on vacation, every day. Seriously. I often say I feel like I live in a post card.  The sunrises and sunsets are just amazing. The 120 degrees in July and the 90 degrees at the end of October I could do without, but everyone keeps saying wait until January!


But that doesn't mean I don't miss being where I was for over 50 years.  I miss my family and friends.  This week has been rather trying in that way.


I had an neighbor/friend, Cathy, on my mind for several days so of course she called me earlier in the week.  Her news was sad.  Another neighbor, Joan, had passed away.  We all knew it was coming, eventually, but it is never easy to hear.  And I also knew that another neighbor, Arcie, who loved her like a mom would take it especially hard, and she was out of town when it happened.  My heart was heavy.


So, I feel a little melancholy I guess you would call it.  Not sad, just not happy.  I went for a walk today on my lunch and was listening to a song by Kenny Chesney called "I Go Back".  He sings about a time in his past he remembers fondly.  While walking and listening, I see something red out of the corner of my eye.  Right there under a flag pole, in Mesa, Arizona, is a garden of red geraniums... a fond memory filled my mind.

Every year on Mother's Day, my Dad would fill the planter on the front porch with red, pink and white geraniums.  I smiled and my heart was not quite as heavy.  November 4 will the anniversary of Dad's passing.  Mom is 92.

Spread love to your family and friends.  Hug them while you can, and share the joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment