Sunday, July 22, 2018

Christmas in July - Kate’s Way

Kate loves to write letters. Often in the mornings I will come into the kitchen to find a stack of letters to her friends. There will be sealed envelopes with her letter jammed into them, scribble on the front, and a sticker in the top right corner - her version of a stamp.


This letter was on the table yesterday. When I asked her why so many stamps, Kate informed me it was going to Santa at the North Pole. I asked her, "You’re sending a letter to Santa in July?" She said she was and then asked me how it would get to the North Pole. I replied, "The mailman will take from our mailbox to the post office and it will probably go in a plane to the North Pole."  She pumped her fists and said,"Great!"

Although Kate is 30, she still believes in Santa. It is one of the joys of having Kate in our family as we will always have the magic of Christmas. In fact last year she sat on his right -kinda big for the lap-and went over the list with him.



She told me the letter was her Christmas list. (And I thought I had a jump start on Christmas). Then she asked me how long it will take to get to Santa from Arizona. I told her probably about a week. She said, "Great" again and that she would be waiting for her presents next week.

I tried to explain to her that’s not how it works, that Santa doesn’t bring the gifts until Christmas. But she was sure they would come after he got her letter. 

Next week is going to be a very long week for everyone when she realizes the only packages coming to the house are the ones I ordered on Amazon Prime Day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment