Monday, July 30, 2018

Yes Mommie Dearest


I have noticed that my family  often talk in "sarcasm", although I don't know where they get it from.


We joke that when we speak and type, the words should be green, so everyone knows sarcasm is our first language.

Kate is a very literal person.  For example, if you were to say, “You’re pulling my leg.” She would give you a puzzled look, look at your leg and say, “No I’m not.”

I often wonder if she gets our sarcasm. I recently read an article in the Smithsonian Magazine titled: The Science of Sarcasm? Yeah, Right. This is a section I found most interesting.

“Scientists are finding that the ability to detect sarcasm really is useful. For the past 20 years, researchers from linguists to psychologists to neurologists have been studying our ability to perceive snarky remarks and gaining new insights into how the mind works. Studies have shown that exposure to sarcasm enhances creative problem solving, for instance. Children understand and use sarcasm by the time they get to kindergarten. An inability to understand sarcasm may be an early warning sign of brain disease.”  Click here for a link to the article. 

Well, Kate’s level of abilities are varied. In some areas she is higher functioning than a kindergarten and, in some areas, she is at that level and then some lower.

I mean just the other day Art and I were out and Patty was home with Kate. Patty sent us this screen shot


She said in her text: “I was watching TV when all of the sudden this pops up on the TV. It is on Kate’s iPad.  I don’t know how she did it, but now it’s on the TV. Kate looked over at me and goes, "Ha-ha, sorry.”

The reason I wondered if Kate understood sarcasm is because when I tell her to do something, or not to do something, and it isn’t really what she wants to do, she will respond dejectedly with “Yes Mommie Dearest." 

Okay, did she mean that as a term of endearment, or did someone read her the book Mommie Dearest? Is this her attempt at sarcasm? She sure does surprise us sometimes, so I'm still not sure what her intent is on this one.




No comments:

Post a Comment