Friday, February 21, 2014

Where Did I Put My Cape?


So right now in the house, I have a wonderful supporting husband, Kate and four dogs and my Mom.  Sarah and Patty are both away at school.  Sarah is in Grad School – finishes up next December and Patty is in the final semester of a Post-Secondary Transition Program. Why would anyone want four dogs in the house?  Well, there are four good reasons, let me explain.

We will start with the oldest and work down.  Bear is our German Shepherd – the biggest four footer weighing in at close to 100 pounds.  We got him when he was about 2 from German Shepherd Dog Rescue about 7 years ago. I wanted a dog for Kate, one that would be her friend and would protect her.  Did I mention that we soon found out that Kate doesn’t like dogs?  So, he became Art’s best buddy, being the only other male in the house.   Two acl surgeries later and he still says “I Love You Mom” and will sing for me.

Major, a four year old Boxer/Pit mix is our foster dog.   He was sold on Craigslist to a very bad man who went to prison  and poor Major was left chained to a fence.  He was taken in by animal control and rescued by Black Dog All Breed Rescue. He is the third dog we have fostered from them and I must say he has stolen my heart.  He is such a love bug and wiggle butt.

Then there is Payton, an Aussie mix from Wright Way Rescue who is 2. I got her as a puppy to be trained as a service dog for Patty who has a seizure disorder.  She is one smart dog with the coolest butterscotch colored eyes.  I would take her everywhere with me in her vest from the time she was potty trained and had all her shots. 

Funny story here- I would often get asked about her training when we were out and about and I was always more than willing to share the information and educate people.  However, people who asked me what my disability was were the idiots that really got under my skin.  This is how I handled one:

Payton would ride in the back seat of the car, with her front two paws on the console and have her head between the driver and passenger seat.  I always said she was giving me directions.  One bright sunny day I was stopped at a stop light and Payton had her head there next to mine with her red vest on.  A lady to my left motioned for me to roll down the window, so I did.  She asked me what kind of dog she was; I said I got her from the shelter, but probably an Aussie Lab mix.  She then asked if she was a service dog, I guess she noticed the red vest with the service dog patches on it. I responded that yes she was.  She then asked me why I needed a service dog.... so I responded –with a smile – that she was my seeing -eye dog.  The lady just kept looking at me with her mouth open as I drove away.

After jumping through hoops at work and signing my life away, she was allowed to come into work and sleep under the desk.  All the employees knew not to pay any attention to her while she had her vest on, but at 4:45 p.m., we would go through the building (naked) and everyone could pet her.  She loved it as much as they did.  She went through several obedience classes and we do agility and nose work and she is just a great dog.  From the beginning my husband said I would never be able to give her up – even to my own daughter.  Well, again he was correct, but for different reasons.  I would have broken heartedly given her to Patty but it seems at this time it would be too much responsibility for her.  So darn, she stays with me.

Peanut is Sarah’s dog who is a temp.  He won’t live with us forever, just while she is in school. He is from Blackdog Rescue also and is a Pit/ Lab mix about two. We think he missed out on socialization when he was a pup and is just a little off. He is like an ADHD kid – 24/7.  He is also anxious and skittish.  Most dogs are pulling the lead to go for a walk; he is pulling the lead at the end of the block to get back home.  The world is a scary place to him.  We are working with him to get past this, with TTouch, aroma therapy and behavior modifications.    


Now – add on to all of that my 89 year old Mom coming to spend the winter with us and you would be looking for your cape also!   

No comments:

Post a Comment